Friday, August 10, 2007

The Beat Of Their Own Drums

Wow. Did I just spend 5 hours in a movie theater watching the Drum Corps International Division I Quarterfinals on the big screen?

Damn straight I did!

I didn't think I would like it that much, nor did I expect to stay for the entire competition, but when things got rolling, time flew by! These teams are incredible. Incredible! The skill, the talent, the imaginations!

I'll admit that, at first, I thought these groups (teams?) would be more or less half-time-show quality marching band (read: not very good), possibly glorified (and boring). But when the first group started performing, and their color guard started dancing, and all of them moved in formation, it was bedazzling. Did I just say bedazzling? I guess so.

Anyway, my favorite performance of the night was definitely the Carolina Crown (see a short clip here) - ingenious! For the best performance, I have to give up to the Blue Devils. You can check out their coverage of the quarterfinals here.

And can I just say how many gay men were also in the theater too? With all the music and dancing (being performed by hot, young men no less!), I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Does this make me a band geek fan?!

No comments: