I think there is a time in every bloggers' career when they realize that they've been focusing on who's reading their blog and increasing traffic instead of why they started the blog in the first place. Today is my day. Read more [+/-]
"My name is Jase. I am a hits whore." Everyone together now, "Hi Jase!"
In an effort to help those out there who have fallen prey to the hits whore beast, I'm going to list a few tell-tale signs. Feel free to share your own signs too.
You might be a hits whore if:
- you check your site counter more than once a day.
- you are unable to concentrate at work because you're checking your site counter.
- you are unable to sleep because you're checking your site counter.
- you constantly refresh the page hoping your counter went up.
- you get WAY too excited when your counter goes up.
- you have more than one counter hoping magically they'll work together and increase your readership.
- you check 10 minutes after you post to see if anyone left a comment yet.
- you start making a list of hits whore tell-tale signs.
If any of these are all too familiar, you still have hope yet! Try the following:
- Remove the counters and comments.
- Since the previous suggestion is outright ridiculous, limit checking your counters and comments at work, realize the world doesn't just revolve around you, and remind yourself why you started the blog in the first place.
Me? I want to be a better writer. I want to be creative. I want to be able to look at life, find the humor in any situation, and put it into words. I want to find the courage to share my story. I want to find others who can relate and share in their experiences.
What about you?